5 October, 2018
USAID/Pakistan awarded Louis Berger Group (LBG) with a three (3) year Punjab Youth Workforce Development Project (PYWD) to work with at-risk youth in Multan, Lodhran, Muzaffargarh and Bahawalpur to secure gainful employment and play a positive role in their communities. The Program will facilitate employment opportunities for 10,000 youth (including 35% women) will implement the following activities: a) proactive community engagements to mobilize at-risk youth; b) institutional capacity building and re-tooling of over 22 public/private vocational training providers; c) co-opting of prospective potential private sector employers for trainee placement; d) career counseling services; as well as e) providing access to finance for youth entrepreneurs.
The overall purpose is to provide easy and prompt access to interest free loans to the youth of selected districts for promoting and strengthening entrepreneurship and self-employment. The project intends to hire the services of a Microfinance Specialist having expertise in the field of microfinance and microcredit, with adequate orientation to interest free loan mechanism for enterprise development.
The Microfinance Specialist will be required to streamline tasks related to the design, resource mobilization, implementation, monitoring, documentation and communication of the initiative. S/he will ensure close communication with all relevant stakeholders
- To facilitate PYWD through complementing experiential and tacit knowledge of microfinance into developing and finalizing “Access to Finance” strategy emphasizing on the promotion and amplification of youth-led enterprises
- Evaluate and catalogue a list of most prospective sectors and lucrative business ventures in local context for youth and MFIs to invest in
- To conceptualize the initiative in terms of principles, salient features, and scope of operations, ensuring that these are well thought through, logical and effectively integrated in the overall implementation and reporting system.
- Develop an Operations Manual to ensure smooth and effective implementation of “Access to Finance” strategy. It may broadly comprise of the operational structure, staffing, risk assessment tools, community mobilization plan, marketing plan, disbursement procedures, documentation process and monitoring mechanisms.
- Collaborate with MFI partner in the formulation of implementation plan for loan disbursements, repayments and defaulters
- Draft a screening criteria and identify youth who are eligible for entrepreneurial trainings and loans for enterprise development as per the criteria
- Facilitate, execute and monitor the training and capacity building activities of beneficiaries to ensure optimal utilization of finance linked to enterprise development/enhancement.
- Orchestrate operational and procedural modalities including communication & reporting guidelines and mechanisms and ensure transparent execution by MFI partner
- Design a toolkit with requisite tools and procedures to USAID-PYWD project for strengthening the whole process from nominating youth, receiving loan applications, disbursements and loan recovery as per agreed upon schedule and partner’s procedures
- Carry out rigorous follow-up with beneficiaries on the verify the effective utilization of loans as per accorded business plan
- To set up a standardized, accountable and auditable process for establishing, managing, monitoring, reporting and concluding the Revolving Fund created for disbursing Interest free loans to youth.
- To put in place a robust monitoring mechanism for documenting and tracking implementation, as well as results expected from the initiative
- Monitor and report socio-economic and behavior change in the lives of recipients through baseline and end-line assessment.
- To develop and operationalize an effective system for capacity building, information management, reporting and complaint & grievance management.
3. Qualification and Experience
- Masters degree in Business, Economics, Banking or related field
- At least 05-year experience in managing credit/interest free loan programs. Preference to the candidate with experience in entrepreneurship development
- Hands-on experience of working with banks, government or development organizations in enhancing access to finance
- Experience in designing products and services for promoting youth development