5 October, 2018
US-Pakistan Partnership for Agricultural Market Development
SCOPE OF WORK
|Project Name||CNFA-AMD/ Project Number AID-391-C-15-00003|
|Assignment Title||Project Field Specialist – High Value/Off Season Vegetable Program|
|Reports to||Director Value Chain|
|Place of Performance||Karachi, Sindh|
|LOE||30 Working Days From November 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018|
CNFA is an enterprise development organization based in Washington, D.C., dedicated to stimulating sustainable growth in the agriculture sector. CNFA specializes in fostering private sector investments in training, new technologies and marketing as a means to increase the overall competitiveness of agricultural value chains, to expands exports, and to develop skills in the rural workforce. By generating higher incomes for farmers, processors, entrepreneurs and distributors, CNFA helps improve livelihoods and reduce poverty.
The U.S.-Pakistan Partnership for Agricultural Market Development (AMD) activity in Pakistan is a USAID funded activity implemented by CNFA with the goal of supporting the development of Pakistan’s commercial agriculture. This is envisioned to be achieved through improving the ability of Pakistan’s agriculture and livestock sectors to meet both international and domestic demands and requirements in AMD’s four targeted product lines: Citrus, Mango, High Value/Off Season Vegetables and Livestock. AMD envisions transforming the four targeted product lines into efficient, private sector-led value chains that deliver competitive products to domestic and export markets. AMD’s targeted training, matching grants, and technical assistance will leverage private sector investment and encourage innovation. Together, these approaches will support upgrades, streamlining of supply chains, optimization of profit margins, and an increase in the participation of women entrepreneurs, ultimately making Pakistani mango, citrus, meat and HV/OSV more profitable and competitive.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
The consultant’s tasks will include but not be limited to:
1. Assist in developing linkages of commercial pack houses, assisted through AMD program, with the smallholder farmers and backgrounders in the cluster of nearby villages through multi-dimensional support activities;
2. Technically oversee the training programs in the project area;
3. Develop appropriate strategies to assist program beneficiaries in improved and best management practices in vegetable field operations, moreover, link them to the packinghouses to get a better price for their product;
4. Technically oversee the AMD Training Program for farmers in the project area;
5. Technically oversee the HVOSV Grants Management in the project region;
6. Assist the HV/OSV grantees to link with value added businesses for the marketing of B & C grade natural produce for value addition;
7. Assist in arranging different events related to integrated supply chain management;
8. Any other tasks assigned by the COP or Chief Technical Advisor relating to design and development of vegetable production, processing, and handling practices interventions.
9. To help AMD to deliver the cool chain grant to HVOSV grantees by continuous interaction with the suppliers and grantees and monitoring and follow up.
Specific duties include:
1. Develop a detailed work plan for execution of assignment in collaboration with relevant AMD sector specialist (within 04 days of assignment commencement);
2. Submit reports on development of appropriate strategies to assist program beneficiaries in improved and best management practices in vegetable field operations and further link them to the packinghouses to get a better price for their product;
3. Submit reports on technical oversight provided to the training programs in the project area;
4. Submit reports on technical input and oversight provided to the HVOSV grants management in the project region;
5. Submit report on strategies developed to assist program beneficiaries to link with value added businesses for the marketing of the B & C grade natural produce for value addition;
6. To ensure the timely delivery of cool chain grant to the HVOSV grantees and keeping AMD updated on the progress.
7. Submit reports on support provided with arranging events in the project areas for various project activities as directed by the VC specialist;
8. Develop draft Power Point presentation and report of the assignment for AMD staff debriefing as required by the VC specialist;
9. Record meeting minutes, pictures and field visit reports as annexures of final report;
10. Submit a final report covering all aspects of the STTA using the AMD template within 10 business days of completion of assignment.
Supervising/ Reporting: Director Value Chain.
Working Conditions / Special Considerations:
The employee is expected to comply with the terms and conditions as noted in the letter of agreement with CNFA.
This assignment is based in Pakistan. Karachi will be the primary duty post, but the employee may spend approximately 30% of his time in other Project Provinces within Pakistan.
The Consultant should have:
1. Pakistani national;
2. A Masters degree in the field of Agriculture/Food Technology/Horticultural Sciences/Engineering;
3. Minimum 5 years experience of having worked with commercial vegetable producers/processors and packinghouses;
4. Sound knowledge of vegetable production and processing;
5. Prior experience of working on consulting assignments with USAID, or any donor funded projects in Pakistan with a focus on development of the agribusiness value chain using an integrated supply chain approach, will be an advantage;
6. Excellent computer skills, particularly Word, Excel and Power Point;
7. Demonstrated ability to work in a team;
8. Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills;
9. Documented excellent English writing skills;
10. Knowledge of local languages will be an added advantage.
Preferred Personal Skills:
- Creativity and a willingness to innovate, think systemically and design catalytic interventions;
- Team player, with excellent organizational skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applicants should submit their CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the words “Project Field Specialist – High Value/Off Season Vegetable Program – AMD” in the subject line.